TSA-pre✓™allows select frequent flyers of participating airlines and members of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs who are flying on participating airlines, to receive expedited screening benefits during domestic travel. Eligible participants use dedicated screening lanes for screening benefits which include leaving on shoes, light outerwear and belts, as well as leaving laptops and 3-1-1 compliant liquids in carry-on bags.
What you need to know: If you sign up for TSA-pre✓™, you can always go to the TSA Agent who checks your boarding pass and ID more quickly by using the TSA Pre✓™ line. However, the short line for the actual security scanning part is a random selection of eligible passengers. You will only get to go through the short lane leaving on shoes, etc if your name comes up on the random list of TSA Pre✓™ when the TSA Agent checks your ticket and ID. But you can ALWAYS use the shorter line to get to the TSA Agent, and that means you will merge much faster into the security scan line even if the program doesn’t pick you up for a particular flight.
Dedicated lines saves you time. Sign up.
FASTER ID CHECK
- If you signed up for TSA Pre✓™, look for theTSA Pre✓™ sign and go directly to it.
- If you have a paper boarding pass, put your ID (photo side up) on top of it to hand to the TSA agent.
- If you have a mobile boarding pass on your smartphone, hand the ID picture up to the TSA agent and place your mobile boarding pass on the red light scanner until it dings and the light turns green.
FASTER SECURITY SCANNINGPrepare to go through the line before you get there:
Before leaving home:
- Check your airline’s web site and make sure there are no delays or cancellations of your flight before you leave.
- Check the TSA web site for the latest on TSA requirements and prohibitions. They change and you want to know before you get there!
- Wear slip-on shoes
- Put a see-through quart size ziplock bag with liquids in easy access, top of bag spot. Take this bag even if it is empty, then if they find something you forgot about, they’ll put it in the bag for you it rather than throw your stuff away.
- Hang a small zippered bag from your purse or laptop case with a locking carabiner. While you are waiting in line, take off your watch, scarf, necklace (don’t worry about rings or earrings, they can see those), boarding pass and ID, and put in this bag in the bin to go through the machine. That way they are all together and easy to put back on once you get to the other side of security, and you don’t have to trust the little plastic tub they give you not to tip over on the belt.
What you need to know: Once you are as far as the security table & scanned, you do not need your boarding pass until you reach the gate, and don’t need your ID anymore at all.At the security scanning table, grab two bins:
2. SECOND BIN: laptop all by itself
When your stuff comes out on the other side, slip on shoes, put on coat, grab your quart-sized ziplock bag and your carry-on. LEAVE the line, go to the benches on the other side. Put your quart-sized ziplock bag back into your bag, put on your scarf, watch etc from the small bag attached to your carry-on, get your boarding pass out to check your flight number and find your gate on the board.
What you need to know: Gate changes are a reality. Check the gate number frequently so you don’t have to make a mad dash to the concourse on the other side of the airport!